Mountains are a part of global biodiversity repository and play a vital role in maintaining global ecosystems and supporting millions of people. In the mean time they are the most vulnerable to rapid environmental change.
The international conference on “Mountains in the Changing World” (MoChWo) is an annual event organized by the Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences (www.kias.org.np). It aims to provide a forum for international/national scholars, researchers, policy maker and students with opportunity to share their research findings and knowledge related to various aspects of mountains (see focus areas below). We are sure that this conference can be an effective and insightful for the benefit of people depending on mountains.
The first #MoChWo conference was held from 1 to 2 October, 2016 in Kathmandu, which was attended by more than 150 participants and had 110 presentations from 10 countries. To know more about last event, please CLICK HERE.
The second #MoChWo 2017 conference will be held in ancient town of Kathmandu from 27-28 October, 2017.
About Kathmandu: Kathmandu is known for long history, ancient cultures and civilizations, Hindu and Buddhist temples, architecture & sculptures. It hosts seven UNESCO world heritage sites. Kathmandu is also the gateway of many high Himalayas in Nepal.
The time for the conference, October, is considered to be the best time to visit Nepal. Therefore you can enjoy around Kathmandu and surrounding areas while attending the conference.
Focus areas: Disasters, resilience, and adaptation; Biodiversity conservation; Climate change; Environmental pollution; Forest management; Soil, water and atmospheric research; Agriculture and agro-ecology; Sustainable livelihood; Policies for mountain resources and livelihood.
Event highlights: Plenary sessions, symposiums, workshops, excursions, best presentation awards
Call for abstracts: Abstracts for the conference can be submitted via its online submission system. Abstracts can be submitted by 21 August for both oral and poster sessions in different conference tracks. Please click here for details.
Registration: All conference participants are required to register. Early bird registration begins on 2 April and ends on 31 August. Deadline for regular registration is 22 September. Click here for more information.
- Dr. Basant Giri (Convener)
- Dr. Hemu Kafle
- Dr. Bhanu Neupane
- Dr. Susma Giri
- Dr. Rashila Deshar
- Mr. Pushkar Bhusal (Intern)
- Dr. Prakash K. Paudel (Chair), Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences, Nepal
- Dr. Rajan Ghimire, New Mexico State University, USA
- Dr. Binod Pokharel, Utah State University, USA
- Dr. Nabin Malakar, JPL/CalTECH/NASA, USA
- Dr. Basanta Raj Adhikari, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Dr. Peter Stahl, University of Wyoming, US
- Dr. Uttam Babu Shrestha, University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- Dr. Mohan Dangi, California State University, USA
- Dr. Wentao Wang, Ministry of Science & Technology, China
- Dr. Achyut Aryal, The University of Sydney, Australia
- Dr. Anzar Khuroo, University of Kashmir, India
- Dr. Olga Ameixa, University of Aveiro, Portugal
- Dr. Vasileios Bontzorlos, Technology of Thessaly, Greece
- Dr. Sadikshya Rana Dangi, USDA-Agricultural Research Service, USA
- Dr. Thakur Bhattarai, CQ University Rockhampton, Australia
- Dr. Suresh K. Ghimire, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Dr. Jan Sipos, Institute of Botany, ASCR, Czech Republic
- Dr. Ram P. Regmi, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Dr. Tamir Klein, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Mr. Roshan Ojha (Secretory), Nepal Agricultural Research Council, Nepal
Organizer and Host
Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences (KIAS), Kathmandu, Nepal
Faculty of Health Sciences, Pokhara University, Kaski, Nepal
Wyoming Reclamation and Restoration Center, Wyoming, USA
American Society of Mines and Reclamation, USA
Conservation Science journal (will publish special issue)
Follow the MoChWo